Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Families Are Forever

We know we are all part of God's family as His children, but also as we come into this world we are part of our own family here on earth.  Now not every family situation is ideal and there are dysfunctions in every case but that is why the gospel of Jesus Christ is so important in family life.  The teachings of Christ can solve family problems and bring the joy desired within the walls of a home.  It is important to understand that family life doesn't have to end with death but that families can be forever.  When a man and a woman are married in a Latter-Day Saint temple that marriage will last forever as well as the bond with their children, if they live worthy of it.  Having this knowledge of eternal families can help have the desired environment of a home.  Through prophets today the Lord has told us, "Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work and wholesome recreational activities."(The Family: A Proclamation to the World) 

My parents always taught these principles to me growing up and they have always blessed my life and the life of my family.  Do we always get along? No. Are there still problems that arise? Of course.  But that's okay because we have knowledge of God's plan for us.  Now that I am without my family for 2 years I truly realize more than ever how important they are, I guess the sayingn that goes "you never know a good thing util it's gone" is so true, I love my familly so much.  Having that eternal perspective helps us cherish each other and always work things out for the best.  A home should be a place of safety and security from the evils of the world around us.  The prophet Isaiah taught this concerning families, "And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children.  In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee."(Isaiah 54:13-14)  Parents can bless their children by teaching them of Christ and that in turn will bless generations to come.  I know that families can be together forever when sealed by proper authority.  I know that peace and joy can be found in a home when founded on Christ and His gospel.  Visit this link to find out more about the family unit.  http://lds.org/family/proclamation?lang=eng   

6 comments:

Elder Bowen Ingram said...

Oh man i am so grateful families can be together forever! I don't know what i would do without my family!

Stephen said...

Elder Anderson, I enjoyed your article & it blessed me too. It is my prayer & wish that my wife & my 4 children will be sealed to. I am also looking forward to the day when I can have my parents sealed together in the Temple & myself sealed to them.

Anonymous said...

I love how families are forever, the gospel is so great!

Anonymous said...

Yay for temples so families can be forever!

Anonymous said...

I love temples and families!

Stephen said...

Elder Anderson, I enjoyed your article & it blessed me too. It is my prayer & wish that my wife & my 4 children will be sealed to. I am also looking forward to the day when I can have my parents sealed together in the Temple & myself sealed to them.