Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Truth Found Today


 A previous post was about the organization of Christ's church when He was upon the earth and today is about how we have that same church today.  First we must understand that after the death of Christ and His Apostles the truth was lost and people were without the true church of Jesus Christ.  Amos, in the Bible, compares this to a famine, "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord: And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it."(Amos 8:11-12)  If you have ever been hungry or thirsty this is easy to relate to, but they could not find what they were looking for, the truth and the true Church was not found upon the world, until the early 1800's.  In western New York there was a young man who was searching to find which of all the churches were right for him.  His name was Joseph Smith.  His family was Christian and believers in the Bible.  Being so confused in which church to join, he wanted answers.  One day he was reading the Bible and found this, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."(James 1:5)  Believing the Bible to be the word of God, Joseph took this verse to heart and decided to ask God.  One spring morning Joseph went into a nearby grove of trees where he could be alone to ask God the question of his heart.  He did so and what happened next changed the world. 
 
Joseph described his experience as this." I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" 
In answer to his prayer, Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph.  I testify to the world that this did happen and is true; I know it for myself, for I did as Joseph and asked God if it is true.  Jesus Christ spoke to Joseph Smith and told him that he should join none of the churches for they were not His church but informed him that he would restore His true church to the earth once again.  He did just that, with the priesthood authority, a prophet, and apostles.  Through Joseph Smith, Christ brought back His gospel, including the correct way of baptism.  We have this truth today and it can bless everyone’s life.  This knowledge comes from God Himself and will give direction to our lives. 

3 comments:

Elder Bowen Ingram said...

Elder Anderson this is amazing. I have been thinking about Joseph Smith's first vision a lot lately, and it is incredible. Look what we have now because of what came from that event. Soooo good

Anonymous said...

one thing that most need to understand first and formost is the gospel of Jesus Christ was lost, during & after his death. if you where seen or it was heard you would most likeiy be killed. What i find amazing is that for almost 2000 years there was not a church named after the savior of the world, Jesus Christ. Now, after 170+years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is growing stronger everyday.. Thanks brother Dressel

Stephen Rogers said...

I am so grateful to Our Heavenly Father that we live in time period in which His Son's Church was restored to the earth. I am also grateful for the courage of 14 yr old boy who was brave enough to seek for the truth. I am very much grateful that Our Heavenly Father has sent two young men like you to preach His gospel. I am so thankful for you Elder Anderson & Elder Bo for coming into my home because you guys have blessed me more ways then one. The both of you are blessings & grateful for friendship. As the Word says "Blessed our feet who preaches Good News". May Heavenly Father continue to bless you both & it is my prayer that He will open doors for you so you can preach the gospel message.