Friday, June 24, 2011

Not Just A Book, The Word of God

There is a movie about the Book of Mormon called "How Rare A Possession".  The movie depicts the stories of how Parley P. Pratt and Vincenzo Di Francesca came to know the truth of the Book of Mormon.  They are truly remarkable stories, the one of Parley P. Pratt, a man who had his life going for him and set off on a journey to find the truth and came across the Book of Mormon. Of his experience he said this, “I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep. I knew and comprehended that the book was true… My joy was now full.” Through the Book of Mormon he had found the truth that he set out to find. 

The other true history is of Vencenzo Di Francesca, this one longer and more in depth, a truly remarkable story.  Vencenzo was an Italian Protestant minister in the early 1900's.  He gave up his ministry for a book without a name, the book was the Book of Mormon but because of the missing cover and title page he knew not the title nor the origin. Some 20 years later he came across the word “Mormon” in a dictionary and from there found the source of his beloved book.  Without the title or origin he still knew it to be true.  He said, "I read and reread, twice and twice again... At the end of the day, I locked the door of my room, knelt with the book in my hands, and read chapter ten of the book of Moroni. I prayed to God, the Eternal Father, in the name of his son, Jesus Christ, to tell me if the book were of God, if it were good and true...I felt my body become cold as the wind from the sea. Then my heart began to palpitate, and a feeling of gladness, as of finding something precious and extraordinary, bore consolation to my soul and left me with a joy that human language cannot find words to describe. I had received the assurance that God had answered my prayer and that the book was of greatest benefit to me and to all who would listen to its words."  Vincenzo received his answer from the source of truth Himself just as we all can.

I leave my witness with those of Brother Fancesca and Brother Pratt, which is I know the Book of Mormon to be true.  It truly is another testament of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I know this through the power of prayer, I have asked our Father in Heaven and He has in reality answered my prayers.  I bear this witness to the world and do so in the name of Jesus Christ.

To read the full of account of Parley P. Pratt go to:
To read the full account of Vincenzo Di Francesca go to:

No comments: